If the weather is hot and dry this month then the main concern is to keep the garden watered. Don’t forget about fruit and berry trees. They will need a good soaking every week if they are to bear good fruit.
Jobs in the garden in August
- Weekly watering and liquid feeding of hanging baskets window boxes and patio planters is most important this month.
- Sow seeds for Winter Cabbage Lettuce and Purple Broccoli.
- Watch for earwigs on Dahlias and Chrysanthemums and apply a dressing of any powder to the affected plants.
- Continue to apply slug pellets or slug liquid to protect bedding plants and border flowers.
- Plant autumn flowering Cyclamen, Violas and Pansies for late summer and autumn colour in pots and flower beds.
- Deadhead your flowering plants regularly to keep them blooming