With daylight hours much reduced and temperatures likely to be quite cold, gardeners tend not to spend too much time in the garden in December. Luckily there isn’t too much to be done this month other than protecting your garden from frost and harsh weather.
Jobs in the garden in December
- Take care of wild birds in your garden by leaving out food and water for them.
- Use mulch around the base of plants to protect them from frost.
- Protect tender plants from the cold with garden fleece or move them into a greenhouse, or sheltered part of the garden.
- Deciduous trees and shrubs can still be planted and transplanted.
- Plant a few Christmas themed outdoor containers to get your garden looking festive.
- Trees that can be pruned in December include freestanding Apples and Pears, Acers, Birches and Vines.
- Harvest winter vegetables.
- Take hardwood cuttings.