“June remains the perfect time to plant many of our popular summer flowering plants”Paraic Horkan
After such a fantastic start to the gardening year with record beating temperatures and long dry balmy days, garden plants have responded with a flourish of new growth and a profusion of early blooms. Summer flowering plants, including lavender and roses, are two to three weeks early in flower and June remains the perfect time to plant many of our popular summer flowering plants. Scented lavender, blousy hydrangeas, scented roses and cottage garden plants including arum lilies, day lilies and dahlias can all be planted now in your garden.
Things you can do in your garden this month:
1. Create a ball of colour by planting a selection of basket and patio plants into hanging baskets, window boxes and patio planters now. Summer flowering basket plants start to flower in June and continue to flower right up until early autumn. Remember to liquid feed with Osmo universal liquid fertiliser weekly for best results
2. Continue to plant vegetable and herb plants into raised beds, pots or directly out into the veg garden. Plant summer and autumn cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, cauliflowers, and lettuce plants. You can also sow some seeds of Suttons purple sprouting broccoli , Suttons Chinese cabbage and Carrot autumn king out of doors for fresh kitchen vegetables in autumn and winter.
3. Greenfly, whitefly, caterpillars and aphids are attacking many garden plants this month. Plants including Lupins, roses, beech hedging and fruiting plants are prone to attack sap sucking pests can cause severe damage to many fruiting plants in May and now is the ideal time to apply a dressing of Spray. I find that the PY Spray treatment kills unwanted garden pests without damaging the fruit or plants and is ideal for all fruiting plants.
4. Protect you crop of maincrop potatoes from potato blight, potato blight spreads in humid wet weather during the summer months. Simply apply a dressing of potato blight treatment to the stems and leaves for good control. Apply potato blight treatment once a month from June to September
5. Scented roses remain the people’s choice of favourite garden plants and for good reason, roses bloom from June to October, many are highly scented and come in a wide range of varieties ideal for patio pots, raised beds, or for planting on mass in borders for stunning colour. Despite their reputation roses are easy to grow and reward you with months on colour and scent. Check some varieties here roses to plant now
6. June is the ideal time to sow a new lawn or wild meadow area. Weather conditions and soil tempetures are just right for excellent germination and strong growth. Clear the ground of weed growth with a dressing of Weed free 360 weed treatment; it will kill existing weeds with out contaminating your soil. Add some pre seeding Osmo park & fairway fertiliser to the soil and finally apply Green velvet lawn seed for a quality hard wearing lawn this summer.
7. Plants for free – take cuttings from your favourite garden plants, soft new shoots are ideal to use as short cuttings to propagate you very own garden plants, plants including roses, chrysanthemums, spireas, Hypericium, buddleias and hydrangeas can be slipped or propagated by taking short stemmed cuttings, dipping them in rooting gel before placing them in pots of rooting compost. Many basket and patio plants can also be propagated in a similar fashion including trailing petunias, geraniums, and trailing verbenas.
8. Summer flowering clematis can be planted now for a stunning show of large colourful blooms from mid-summer – I recommend you add Horkans own compost to the planting hole with two handfuls of Osmo pro 6 fertiliser before planting. Summer flowering clematis planted now will put on strong growth and flower this and every summer.
9. Feed all garden shrubs, trees and hedging now; an application of Osmo pro 6 fertiliser applied now will help to promote strong growth and flowers in many garden plants. Simply sprinkle a handful of Osmo pro 6 fertiliser out from the base of the plants. The Osmo pro 6 fertiliser granules will be absorbed quickly and add a much needed boost to your garden plants.
10. Did you know that scented lavender helps you sleep like a baby, simply place a couple of lavender sprigs into the sleeve of your pillow and drift away for a restful night’s sleep. June is the right time to plant lavender in your garden; it grows really well in patio pots and flowers from June to early autumn. It loves to grow in a sunny location in free draining soil, so perfect in a patio planter in full sun
Join me with Deirdre Kelly every Saturday morning from 9am on Midwest radio or listen to the show Podcasts on their websites – Paraic.